Rich dark chocolate with the acidic, dark bite of a shot of espresso- a match made in heaven. These are chocolate cupcakes topped with my espresso buttercream (my own recipe!!!), and garnished with salted semi sweet chocolate chunks.
This is a link to the best chocolate cake recipe I have ever tried! Go give them some love and check them out yourself. http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/ultimate-chocolate-cupcakes/
My only alteration with that recipe is where it calls for a cup of boiling water, I use a cup of hot coffee (I used Lavazza Espresso Decaffeinato Ground Espresso in a French press). It makes a world of difference and is a great way to bring the batter together.
Chocolate Espresso Icing
1 cup + one tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar (This may vary depending on how thick you like your icing)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 shot of espresso (I use Nespresso Decaffeinato Intenso)
- First, microwave the chocolate chips at 30 second intervals for one minute, mixing well with a fork after each interval to avoid burning.
- The chips should be soft but not totally melted yet. Here, add the shot of hot espresso, mixing vigorously.
- You should have a chocolate sauce now. It may begin to cease. If so, keep stirring and add a tablespoon of butter. Stir until butter is melted. Make sure there are no lumps and set aside to cool.
- Cream butter in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until pale and creamy
- While mixing at a low speed, add about a cup of powdered sugar at a time to avoid a mess.
- Once combined, add vanilla extract and chocolate-espresso syrup. Mix at medium to combine.
- If this isn’t the consistency you like, add milk to thin and add powdered sugar to thicken.
- Load in a piping bag and frost your cooled cupcakes.
Salted Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (This can be substituted to any chocolate you like. Please avoid white chocolate though. I would steer toward the richest dark chocolate you can find) 1.5 teaspoons ground sea salt
- Chop chocolate
- Add salt and lightly stir to combine
- Sprinkle on frosted cupcakes